The popularity of CBD products for pets has taken off in recent years. Our review of Vet CBD oil will enlighten you as to its efficacy as an alternative medication or treatment for your pet. How does this product measure up in the competitive field of CBD products? Read on to find out!
Disclaimer: CertaPet partners with Honest Paws.
What is Vet CBD?
Vet CBD is a company that formulates and provides CBD products for the pet market.
The company is based in California and aims to bring premium quality cannabis to pets. Vet CBD offers a product range specially formulated by its founder, veterinarian Dr. Tim Shu.
CBD, or cannabidiol, is an extract from the cannabis plant. It is important to understand that CBD is non-psychoactive, and as such, your pet will not experience the “high” associated with marijuana when given Vet CBD oil. This natural, plant-based compound is non-toxic and offers many medicinal benefits for pets.
Understanding the Growing Trend of CBD for Pets
Pet owners worldwide are now recognizing the benefits of treating their fur babies with CBD products. This natural line of products helps pets to live a healthier, happier and longer life with none of the side effects parents fear for their furbabies.
CBD has become a preferred alternative to prescription medication for ailments such as joint pains, anxiety, phobias, and inflammation. This alternative treatment brings peace of mind to caring pet lovers.
The Many Benefits of CBD for Dogs
No loving pet owner wants their doggy to suffer unnecessarily, and now CBD oil and CBD dog treats bring welcome relief to pets as well as their owners.
As an organic-based alternative, CBD brings many wonderful benefits for dogs suffering from a variety of afflictions:
- Anxiety: Appropriate doses of CBD oil successfully alleviate stress-related symptoms, phobias, and separation or noise anxiety. Anti-anxiety medications may be mood-altering and have potentially hazardous side effects while CBD oil is safe and dependable.
- Seizures: While epilepsy is the basis for most pet seizures, other causes include reactions to ingesting poison or as result of a head injury or illness. Seizures may also merely be a once-off occurrence.
- Epilepsy: Clinical trials at James L. Voss Veterinary Teaching Hospital in Colorado have proven ground-breaking. They found a reduction in the frequency of seizures in 89% of dogs treated with CBD!
- Allergies: Before CBD oil, treatment for seasonal and environmental allergies and food allergens were antihistamine based. CBD offers an option other than medications with potentially adverse side effects.
- Nausea: Queasiness presents with vomiting for the most part, but your pup may also indicate loopiness by shaking, drooling, licking of lips, lethargy and refusing food. Signs of sickness may well be just a short-lived episode from ingesting something disagreeable, infections, parasites, or car sickness. It could however also be indicative of a chronic issue such as kidney disease or cancer.
- Arthritis: This degenerative joint disease causes reduced mobility, pain, swelling, and stiffness. Old age is not for the faint-hearted and many aged dogs develop arthritis. Common treatments include anti-inflammatory medications which may have adverse effects on the liver. Side effects don’t stop there, though, which speaks volumes for the safety and efficacy of CBD oil.
The Vet CBD Products Available
Vet CBD products are regulated by California cannabis regulations.
Presently Vet CBD offers cannabis tincture (CBD oil) in 30ml, 60ml, and 120ml bottles. All sizes are available in a 10:1 CBD:THC formulation as well as in a 20:1 CBD:THC formulation.
Each 30 ml bottle contains 125mg, each 60ml bottles contain 250mg, and each 120ml bottle contains 500mg.
What’s Inside? A Look at the Vet CBD Oil Ingredients
The main active ingredient in Vet CBD is cannabidiol (CBD), which is among the over 100 different cannabinoids identified in the cannabis plant.
From the Vet CBD website: “We use responsibly grown, locally sourced, full spectrum cannabis to make VETCBD products. Full spectrum cannabis refers to cannabis that produces a bouquet of beneficial cannabinoids in addition to CBD, such as CBC, CBG, and small amounts of THC. At low doses THC, in combination with CBD, is non-psychoactive and can provide additional relief from pain, muscle spasms, nausea and loss of appetite. Other cannabinoids such as CBC and CBG have been shown to be beneficial for reducing pain and inflammation. Full spectrum cannabis provides optimal therapeutic value from the actions of multiple cannabinoids working together.”
Vet CBD Reviews!
Here is what some Vet CBD customers had to say on Facebook:
“My pup has several bouts of HGE. We follow a recipe by a canine nutritionist and she hasn’t had a bout since. We use VetCBD to calm her tummy.” – Rebakah Marie
“It’s been a life saver for our 10 year old Rottweiler…(arthritis)” – Dean Jeanne Simonds
CBD and Hemp Oil for Dogs: Choosing the Best CBD Products
A great many CBD products are available for pets, dogs in particular. However, since FDA does not regulate the industry, it’s important to do your research in finding the right CBD product. Check for reviews and choose reputable, trustworthy brands.
We are big fans of any Honest Paws products. Important considerations when choosing your products are:
- Manufacturer/supplier: Choose a pet-exclusive supplement manufacturer/supplier.
- Cultivation method: Select organically grown hemp, dried and cured without using pesticides and chemical fertilizers.
- CBD extraction method: Using CO2 to extract the CBD oil ensures a clean, high-quality concentrate, which is also the safest and most effective extraction method.
- Price: Manufacturing is not FDA regulated and companies may use cheaper plant extraction methods. Affordable may therefore not always be advisable if proof of CO2 extraction and zero THC is not available. The maximum THC content to consider is under 0.3%, but zero is best. $50 for high-quality doggy CBD oil is the recommended starting price.
3 Things to Look for in the Best CBD Oil for Dogs
You want the best for your dog and to find the best CBD oil, keep an eye out for the following:
- Customer Reviews: The community is the best place to hear the truth about a product from the horse’s mouth.
- Company mission statements: Products formulated with a veterinarian or holistic veterinary consultant on staff are best. Find those companies supplying Certificate of Analysis and full dosing guides.
- Full money-back guarantee of satisfaction: Actions speak louder than campaign strategies, and companies offering full recompense really put their money where their mouth is.
Vet CBD: Final Thoughts
Vet CBD has earned rave reviews for their CBD oil products, which is commendable.
However, many other brands like Honest Paws offer a wider and more diversified range of CBD products for pets, such as condition-specific oils in various sizes, CBD dog treats, and even CBD-infused peanut butter and coconut oil.
Another factor to consider is accessibility. Pet parents cannot buy CBD directly from Vet CBD. Vet CBD products are currently only available from a limited number of cannabis dispensaries located in California. Because of current California laws, Vet CBD is also unable to ship their products directly to consumers.
The popularity of CBD products for pets has taken off in recent years. Our review of Vet CBD oil will enlighten you as to its efficacy as an alternative
Dr. Tim Shu is the founder and chief executive officer of VETCBD. Dr. Shu founded VETCBD so pets could safely benefit from the multiple therapeutic uses of cannabis. By combining his expertise in veterinary medicine with his knowledge of medical cannabis, Dr. Shu formulates VETCBD products to be safe and effective for use in animals.
As chief executive officer, Dr. Shu manages direction and strategy at VETCBD, and oversees research and development, marketing, sales, and support.
His interest in animal health and welfare from an early age led him to Texas A&M University’s College of Veterinary Medicine, where he earned his doctorate in veterinary medicine. Prior to founding VETCBD, Dr. Shu practiced emergency, critical care, and general medicine, frequently working with low-income clients to provide optimal healthcare on restricted budgets.
Dr. Shu’s work on cannabis and pets has garnered international attention and has been featured by The Today Show, CNBC, NPR, and The New York Times.
Join the team at VET.CBD . Check out the latest job openings, salaries, office locations, remote jobs and company culture insights. Discover why VET.CBD is the best company for you.