Cbd oil for tooth infection
More and more health experts acknowledge cannabidiol (CBD) as a miracle substance in medicine. Its unique medical properties and safety make it an excellent therapeutic option and health supplement for a wide variety of conditions. For this article, let us explore how CBD oil can help relieve dental issues.
The Need for Dental Care
Despite the many available dental products, many Americans still tend to take their oral health for granted. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), from the years 2011 to 2014 around 31.6% of adults aged 20-44 have untreated tooth decay while 18.6% of children and teens aged 5-19 years have the same problem.
When it comes to dental visits, only 64% of adults aged 18 and above had a dental appointment in 2016. Meanwhile, more than two-thirds (84.6%) of children and adolescents aged two to 17 paid a visit to their dentists.
The lack of oral care and hygiene leads to various dental issues. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), oral diseases turned out as the most common noncommunicable diseases. These ailments affect people throughout their lifetime, resulting in severe pain (toothaches), discomfort, and tooth disfigurement.
Aside from these conditions, dental infections can lead to various life-threatening health problems, including increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease and heart disease. A 2010 study found a link between gum inflammation and Alzheimer’s disease. Meanwhile, a 2008 study revealed that bacteria from a tooth infection could enter into the bloodstream and can stick to the platelets. As a result, blood clots can form and restrict the flow of blood to the heart, which can trigger a heart attack.
CBD and Oral Health
Apart from prescription medicine, there have been many alternative treatments for oral diseases. One of them is CBD. Scientists have discovered many properties of this cannabis-derived compound, including:
- Anti-bacterial – it can destroy bacteria or suppress the growth of these microbes.
- Analgesic – It is known for providing pain relief.
- Antiseptic – It is also known to slow the growth of microbes.
Because of this wealth of therapeutic properties, this cannabis-based compound can help people with oral health problems with these conditions:
Studies have shown that CBD is a potent painkiller that is even more powerful than prescription medications by interacting with the body’s pain receptors. Aside from relieving pain, Cannabidiol has anti-inflammatory properties. Using this compound can manage your toothache before seeking professional treatment. Applying the CBD oil directly on the affected areas is the most reliable method of treating toothache.
Cannabidiol has bone stimulating and strengthening properties which can help maintain the health of your teeth. Its anti-inflammatory effects are also recognized by medical health practitioners to be beneficial for slowing or even reversing minor tooth decay.
The swelling of the nerve or the surrounding gums usually leads to tooth sensitivity. CBD provides a coating for the affected region. It also provides a buffer between the damaged and exposed areas throughout the day to pain-inducing conditions. It can also reduce the swelling in the gums that can cause sensitivity even if the tooth is not damaged.
The state of a person’s gums can have a considerable effect on his or her overall dental health. Swollen gums are often caused by harmful bacteria infection in a person’s mouth. Many people suffer from inflamed gums due to poor dental hygiene, including ineffective brushing practices or scrubbing the teeth and gums too hard, which can cause bleeding. When used regularly, CBD can help reduce any inflammation and kill bacteria and fungi growth in a person’s mouth.
Ways to Apply CBD in Your Mouth
- You can use CBD for oral health in many ways. For maintaining shiny white teeth and healthy gums, you can use cannabis-infused toothpaste. You can also create your CBD-rich formula by adding drops of your favorite CBD oil brand to your regular toothpaste. If you’re the DIY type, you can even create your homemade toothpaste made of natural ingredients. Combining baking soda, coconut oil, peppermint oil, and CBD oil can give you a potent mixture for your dental health.
- Besides getting temporary relief from pain, including CBD in your oral hygiene routine will help fight bacteria and other organisms that can erode your teeth.
- If you suffer from toothache and pain from swollen gums, you can apply pure CBD oil directly to the affected area. This application method is the most secure, fast, and effective when trying to relieve a toothache and treat tooth decay. Using your finger, gently apply the product on the damaged tooth and nearby gums.
- Dropping CBD oil and tinctures on the affected area is ideal when treating intense toothache and swollen gums. This method works efficiently to reduce the intensity of the pain and bring down the inflammation before consulting a dentist. You can also use different kinds of CBD-infused products that you can apply without direct contact like oral sprays.
- Drinking or gargling a teabag with CBD dried flowers might also work to fight the pain and inflammation. Another way is by crushing a cannabidiol pill and applying the powder on the affected area.
- If you want to treat severe pain after a tooth extraction or oral surgery, you can use a gauze pad dipped in CBD oil and insert it in the space left after the medical procedure. The pad works as an analgesic. You can also do the same process when your sensitive gums became sore and need to recover after a professional deep cleaning. In addition to providing relief to the throbbing pain, CBD also helps keep the affected area free of bacteria and other microbes that can cause infection.
- There are some cases when it’s better to avoid touching the affected or painful area. Under these conditions, taking CBD capsules, oils, and edibles as a systemic painkiller and supplement works best. However, unlike when you apply cannabidiol to the swollen or infected area, this method won’t offer quick relief.
With CBD, you now have a potent medication against toothache and other dental issues. But before trying any of the methods above, you need to consult with your dentist or oral health specialist.
Oral health professionals have acknowledge CBD's potency. Check the benefits that cannabis has to offer and the proper ways on how to use CBD products