Instagram for CBD Brands: Tips and Examples
Are you thinking of expanding your reach through Instagram for CBD Brands? It’s never easy to start a new Instagram business account—especially in a saturated industry like CBD. The 2018 Farm Bill legitimized the CBD industry, starting a race to create and promote hemp-derived products. In today’s market, everything from hemp extract to vape pens and hemp-infused lotions is selling like hotcakes.
With so many new CBD brands and products up for grabs, the race won’t be won without a strategic digital marketing plan. But some of the most popular social platforms like Instagram and Facebook have decided to ban advertising for CBD, lumping it into the same category as Marijuana. Legitimate, therapeutic CBD brands are left out in the cold. They cannot advertise their THC-free products or even boost a post.
So, is Instagram for CBD Brands even worth it? Yes! Your CBD brand can absolutely still make an impact and drive sales, customer loyalty, and brand awareness on Insta. But you must toe the line to avoid having your account suspended or your posts penalized. Check out these tips and some of our favorite accounts that are doing Instagram for CBD brands right.
Our Quick Tips for a Better CBD Instagram Account
1. Be careful to steer clear of medical claims and FDA-prohibited phrasing. Instagram could potentially flag your account. If you are going to post using “claims” include a blanket disclaimer in your profile.
2. Have FDA-approved responses ready for your comment sections in case followers ask questions you cannot legally respond to on Instagram. Ex: The FDA prohibits recommendations for specific conditions.
3. Avoid using controversial hashtags and any references to marijuana culture. No matter your personal feelings about marijuana, you’ll want to separate your CBD brand from controversy.
4. Include plenty of educational and advocacy-related posts. Make it clear that your brand is on Instagram to provide much-needed information to consenting adults.
5. Use high-quality photos and videos to avoid looking “amateur”. There are many CBD brands on Instagram that sell untested, unsafe products. Set yourself apart by posting quality creative assets.
6. Establish mutually beneficial relationships with other companies to raise brand awareness. If you co-market with other reputable brands, you’re brand gains legitimacy.
7. Use Geotagging to engage with local followers and influencers. Your local presence is important and can help grow your following faster.
8. Stay in the CBD conversation and engage with your competitors and CBD influencers. This solidifies your brand as an industry thought leader. It also shows Instagram that you actively contribute to the platform—which can boost your ranking in their algorithm.
Four Kickass CBD Instagram Accounts To Watch
Koi CBD claims they are one of America’s #1 trusted CBD brands, and their Instagram profile helps us believe it! Their products include 100% natural CBD Oil, vape pens, topicals, and plenty of other hemp products. We think it’s wise that their Instagram profile makes it very clear that Koi products don’t contain THC. We also love that they are transparent within their feed about the rigorous testing their products undergo.
Koi makes great use of the Highlights section of their profile. They use Highlights to educate followers and publicize positive reviews of their products from real customers. We especially love the FAQ Highlight, which answers popular questions about their products and CBD as a whole.
Apart from establishing trust, their posts promote a health-conscious lifestyle through high-quality images. You’ll find beach scenes, tempting recipes, and Koi products in the hands of athletes and the paws of adorable pups. Captions are simple and hashtag use limited, letting this lifestyle-focused creative shine. And avoiding claims that could land them in hot water with Instagram!
Soul CBD has found their niche in CBD, marketing their products specifically for those who struggle with anxiety, sleep, and pain. The company boldly invites you to “find relief now,” in their profile. Their posts also say things like, “CBD Oil reduces inflammation.” While you can say general things like this, Instagram for CBD brands sometimes requires marketers to get a little creative.
Try saying “has the potential to”, “can help”, “may support”, and using other padded language instead. This protects you from making a solid claim that your product can actually treat, cure, or prevent any illness. As per current FDA guidelines for CBD marketing.
While Soul CBD may be playing it a little fast and loose with their claims, we do enjoy that their account puts a huge emphasis on education. The brand raises awareness about popular health concerns, encouraging people to do additional research. They also have awesome product and lifestyle images, accompanied by laser-focused hashtags that draw more attention to their posts. All-in-all, Soul CBD is a stellar example of effective Instagram for CBD brands.
Florida-based Green Roads just celebrated a huge milestone of 50,000+ Insta followers, and we aren’t surprised. This brand understands its audience and tailors its posts to get maximum engagement. They are #winning by diversifying their content beyond product promo pics and offering health and wellness inspiration. Everyone loves a little positive self-talk!
Green Roads uses responsible hashtags, and we love their #EveryDayBetter branded hashtag campaign. We also applaud them for their “Tag Us” Highlight—user-generated content is a powerful tool for brands. By showcasing Insta users who tag their brand, they’re building trust and encouraging new users to continue posting creative product pics and shout-outs.
CBD powerhouse, Charlotte’s Web, gives a face to hemp growers and the people who benefit from the plant’s therapeutic properties. The Stanley Brothers have worked to make CBD available to children with epilepsy—and to make CBD more approachable and free of social stigma. They go #beyondtheseed by connecting their employees’ photos, customer stories, and other real-life content to their overall mission.
We appreciate that this account isn’t cluttered with overly-poses, promotional pictures. Shots feel natural—simple nature photos and intimate portraits. This is a lesson in making sure your content is authentic, high-quality, and true to your brand.
While marketing CBD may be a little more tricky than other health products, these industry-leading Instagram accounts prove that creativity and perseverance are key. As long as you’re savvy, you can absolutely build a loyal Instagram following that sells more CBD products and builds brand loyalty.
Need some help getting started with Instagram for CBD brands? Witty Kitty has helped many CBD and health supplement companies and we can adhere to FDA guidelines without making your social content a snoozefest! Interested? Drop us a line.
Looking for ways to expand your CBD brand's reach? Check out our top tips and some of our favorite accounts that are doing Instagram for CBD Brands right.