Categories
BLOG

cat eats marijuana

Cat eats weed cookie, gets ‘violently high’

Share this with

If you’ve ever had a weed edible, you’ll know just how trippy the experience can be.

Carmine Deville’s cat, Carmilla, had that experience first hand after an accident caused her to eat a full weed cookie.

The incident was shared on Twitter, and the thread has thousands of likes, with people (perhaps evilly) laughing at the situation.

Carmine first explained Carmilla’s nature, jokingly calling her a ‘horrible gremlin kitten’ and ‘an indestructible Dumpster Demon TM with a stomach of steel’.

She also said that Carmilla would ‘fight god for half a stale bagel and win’, which really says all you need to know about this hardy little kitty.

So, what happened?

Well, Carmine took a pre-made weed cookie out of the freezer and popped it on top of the fridge before nipping to the loo.

My horrible gremlin kitten snarfed an entire weed cookie and got v i o l e n t l y high the other day: a thread pic.twitter.com/EZWJe9HUrV

She’d clearly forgotten that her cats – especially Carmilla – would never let snacks go uneaten, and despite the paper wrapping and three freezer bags encasing the cookie, she came back to find it gone.

Just the chocolate chips were left (which is lucky as chocolate can be lethal for cats), and Carmine now had to see which one of her two cats (the other is called Béla Lugosi) had eaten the herby treat.

Carmine, a model and burlesque producer, was freaking out, and said: ‘Cue 30 minute montage of me crying while rolling my cats up in towels and force-feeding them peroxide in alteration while they struggle. (Spoiler alert: it didn’t work.)’

You know that feeling when you get a little too high and suddenly find yourself crying in a Taco Bell drive-thru at 2:17AM? Milla did that, but instead of a drive-thru it was behind the toilet, and in the bathtub, repeatedly. #CarmillaKitten pic.twitter.com/zv033bJQ4E

Hydrogen peroxide in small quantities is a known emetic for cats, but doesn’t always work, and certainly didn’t on these kitties strong stomachs who often eat food from bins.

Carmine then said it was too late to do anything, and instead had to just wait it out to see if there would be any ill effects.

It turned out it was Carmilla who’d eaten the cookie, and she eventually started to show signs of being ‘violently high’.

‘The moment the drugs hit and she realized she dun f***ed up reeeeal bad this time,’ Carmine captioned one photo of her beloved cat.

Carmilla then spent the next four hours grappling with the consequences of her greed.

She was crying to get up on the bed, and then simply staring at her tail for a long time. She then decided to sit in the bath for a while, as well as behind the toilet.

After like four hours of anxious babysitting, she finally sobered up enough to eat and walk around, and spent the rest of the night sleeping it off on my lap. #CarmillaKitten pic.twitter.com/LATsWiqLyo

Towards the end of her high, Carmilla got under an armchair and only briefly sent her paw out to be patted before retreating again. Feels.

Thankfully after a few hours she returned to her normal self and was able to eat and sleep it off. It was a big scare for Carmine, though.

Carmine concluded her thread saying, ‘There’s no moral to the story but in summary, please do your drugs before your cats do because this was horrible and the only way I can deal is to joke about it on the internet. The goblin in fine. Thanks for joining us for Carmilla’s Big Drug Adventure 2020.’

More: Cats

Family overjoyed to be reunited with cat who was missing for seven years

Cat that survived being shot in the head is now looking for a new home

Student sneaks cat into class because it didn’t want to be left alone

That is a pretty good moral of the story as far as we’re concerned, given that THC can be very harmful to cats if ingested.

If this does happen to you, the first thing you should do is call your vet. Although in situations like this everything can end up fine – and a bit funny in a mean way – it’s always better to be safe than sorry.

Carmine Deville's cat found its way into a bag containing a marijuana edible. It ended up having a pretty stressful time.

Marijuana Toxicity in Cats

Many pet owners want to know if their cat will experience any issues when inhaling second-hand pot smoke, eating marijuana brownies, or chewing on the leaves of the plant. While several cat owners out there think marijuana is just another form of catnip, it’s true that there is a drastic difference.

Catnip and Marijuana

Catnip is a plant that comes from the mint family. The perennial herb has downy leaves, purple-spotted white flowers, and a pungent smell that makes cats go crazy when smelled and sleepy when eaten. Marijuana, on the other hand, comes from a plant called Cannabis sativa. The chemical in Cannabis that produces the altered states of consciousness humans enjoy is called Delta-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol or THC.

Marijuana is sometimes prescribed for relief from pain and nausea due to chemotherapy in cancer patients, and for certain conditions in AIDS patients. However, it’s still questionable whether there is anything beneficial in the plant for feline friends. In fact, it is strongly suggested that cats do not come close to any smoke from marijuana use, or any other smoke from cigarettes, cigars, or pipes.

How Cats Are Exposed to Marijuana

The most common ways cats are exposed to marijuana is by inhaling smoke or ingesting dried marijuana.   Although people who have experimented with smoking catnip become happy and relaxed, cats should not be forced to “smoke” any substance.

Because of the cumulative effects of inhaling any kind of smoke, it is inadvisable to smoke marijuana anywhere near a cat, particularly one with asthma or other lung diseases. It’s important to be mindful of this, as humans are able to make educated decisions around topics like these, while cats are not.

In some cases, cats may nibble on the leaves and/or buds of the growing marijuana plant. Humans may also feed their cats cookies or brownies made with marijuana. This is a double whammy of injury to the cat, as the brownies and/or cookies may also contain chocolate, which is toxic to cats on its own.

Symptoms

According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), your cat may experience extreme sleepiness or excitation, hypersalivation, dilated pupils, or low blood pressure. There may also be instances of low body temperature or even death (although it’s rare). Additional symptoms most commonly observed include:

  • Uncoordination, falling over
  • Depression, sometimes alternating with agitation or anxiety
  • Vomiting
  • Bradycardia (slow heart rate)
  • Seizures, sometimes coma

If your cat demonstrates any of the symptoms above, you should take it to the veterinarian as soon as possible.

Warning

  • If you have reason to believe your cat was exposed to marijuana smoke or has ingested marijuana in any form, it’s important to mention this to the vet. Quick treatment may ameliorate the most severe symptoms, and even save your cat’s life.

” data-caption=”” data-expand=”300″ data-tracking-container=”true” />

Illustration: The Spruce / Hilary Allison

Medical Marijuana for Painful Conditions

The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) publishes several articles about marijuana treatments and drug monitoring programs for animals. In 2017, AVMA House of Delegates members urged the Association to develop policies and guidance around marijuana treatments at the Veterinary Information Forum.   One of the topics discussed included the increase of toxicity cases. Delegates like Dr. Dick Sullivan encouraged more research to be performed and for the national association to write to or petition the FDA in order to address marijuana issues to clients.

One article published in June 2013 tackled veterinary marijuana and pet owners who are looking to legalize marijuana for painful symptoms of the disease.   The article quoted a woman who owned a 12-year-old labrador-retriever type of dog which had a tumor of the spleen metastasized to his liver and lungs. Unfortunately, the dog had been given two months to live, and the tramadol given for the pain was not doing the job. Of course, the poor dog was obviously in pain and completely inactive.

Because California legalized marijuana for humans, the dog’s owner was able to buy a glycerin tincture of marijuana that’s sold as a pet medicine in licensed medical marijuana dispensaries throughout Los Angeles. The ​dog’s improvement in activity and the easing of pain was such that the pet owner recommended the drug to other dog owners.

Alternatives

Under the same circumstances, it’s understandable that many pet owners wouldn’t hesitate to give medical marijuana to their own cats if it were available in their state. Thus, there needs to be more research and medicines available for cats experiencing pain.

Until it’s legal for vets to prescribe Cannabis to pets, they won’t have the authority to prescribe the drug. Overconsumption of THC may also create serious health risks in cats. However, hemp-based treatments high in Cannabidiol (CBD) can help. With more research, it’s possible that there is a dosage that can help cats with conditions like Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), pancreatitis, arthritis, asthma, and cancer.  

There are HempRx vitamins and oils that can act as a medication or supplement for your cat. Additionally, there are holistic and integrative veterinarians who can work with you to find the right product for your cat.

Pet owners want to know if marijuana is toxic to cats. See whether eating the leaves of the plant or inhaling second-hand smoke makes a difference.