How To Make A Honey Infused Cannabis Tincture At Home
Home remedies using infused cannabis are gaining popularity due to their effectiveness and their ease of use. Combining honey with specially prepared cannabis makes a sweet and powerful tincture.
Honey and cannabis are two of nature’s gifts that have long played a part in our development as a society. They have proven to be useful for both recreational purposes as well as relief of minor ailments. Together they make an incredible tincture.
The use of honey as a medicine goes back as far as the ancient Greeks and Egyptians. While Egyptian hieroglyphs often depict images of the bee, the earliest illustrations of beekeeping date back to 7000 BC. It was the discovery of Egyptian records that showed how widespread the collection of bees and harvesting of honey had become. It was used as a healing aid for sores and ulcers, and consumed in syrups and elixirs for general health. These practices spread to the Greek Islands where Hippocrates himself combined honey and other ingredients to make topical ointments. As science revisits history’s embrace of honey as a medicine, society is once again looking to harness its beneficial properties. Combining honey and cannabis will allow you to access their healing properties in this sweet and easy to make tincture.
Honey itself is an incredible creation of nature. It has the ability to sustain life, containing all of the essential elements required to survive. Honey has been found to have incredible anti-inflammatory qualities and is able to kill most bacteria and pathogens. The US Food and Drug Administration actually approved a honey based product for use in treating ulcers and skin abrasions. Needless to say, honey has a rich history of medicinal use.
While studies are currently underway, many nations have already acknowledged the historical use of cannabis for its medicine-like properties. Some places like Colorado in the US, allow for the purchase of cannabis under the direction of a doctor. It is believed that the THC and CBD found in cannabis hold the keys to its potential for use in medicine. Many consumers claim that cannabis helps with a range of ailments from chronic pain to nausea. Some claim to use cannabis in order to get off of harmful prescription drugs. Learning to use cannabis for homemade remedies is a safe and effective way to find natural relief.
PREPARING YOUR CANNABIS
If you want to eat your cannabis, or the goodies you make from it, then you must put your herbs through a process called decarboxylation. Without getting all technical, the decarb process involves converting the non-psychoactive THCA into its psychoactive offspring, THC. It’s not as hard as it sounds. All it takes is a little heat. In order to achieve this, you need to slightly cook your weed. As always we’d recommend a Pyrex dish, but a metal baking pan will do.
1. Set your oven to 120°C. Make sure to pre-heat your oven until the desired temperature is reached.
2. Evenly spread your cannabis around your pan. Depending on how potent you want your tincture, use at least one ounce or more. Make sure you are using shake or finely ground bud.
3. Cover your baking pan with aluminium foil
4. Place your baking sheet in the oven for 30 minutes.
That wasn’t so hard, was it? Even you can be a cannabis chemist in your kitchen with having to get the degree. Since you are going to be using this newly decarboxylated cannabis for your tincture, you shouldn’t have to worry about storing it. If you do decide to put some way for later, always use an airtight glass jar. Now that you have your cannabis ready to go, let’s move on to making the tincture.
INFUSING YOUR HONEY
You will need:
- Cheese cloth
- A slow cooker
- Decarboxylated cannabis
1. Take your decarb cannabis and wrap it in a thick or double wrapped cheesecloth. Fasten your cloth so as to keep your cannabis inside. You can do this by twisting or tying the ends. What you are really looking to do is make a large weed teabag.
2. Place your carefully fastened weed-bag into your slow cooker. Depending on how potent you are looking to make it, you can add anywhere from 500g to 2kg of honey. The less honey, the more potent.
3. Place your temperature dial to low. You don’t want to cook your tincture too high as it will boil and burn, leaving you with a hot sticky mess.
4. Depending on how hot your slow cooker gets, you will want to let your honey and cannabis satchel simmer for anywhere from 4-8 hours. Stir occasionally to get good coverage. Check on it periodically to make sure it is not boiling. If it is, you can turn the slow cooker off for a short while.
5. After the tincture is done cooking it needs to cool. Feel free to leave your savoury creation overnight to ensure it is cool enough to handle.
6. After it has cooled, remove your cheesecloth bag of decarb cannabis. It is going to be fully saturated so you will want to squeeze the remaining honey back into your slow cooker.
7. Pour your tincture into as many airtight jars as it takes.
8. Once your tincture is complete and jarred up, be sure to refrigerate it for long term storage.
Now that your cannabis infused honey tincture is complete, you can add it to coffee or tea or any recipe that you like. You will enjoy the soothing effects of the tincture any way you consume it. For more information on cannabis home remedies, check out our article on cannabis tinctures.
Now that you’ve whipped up a fresh batch of cannabis-infused honey, it’s time to put it to use. Of course, you could always add it directly to warm drinks and food items—or you could create some honey sticks for long-term storage and easy administration! Cannabis honey sticks are super easy to craft, and make the sweet extract very portable and simple to use. Simply snip off the top of the packet and squeeze the extract into drinks or directly into the mouth when on the go.
MAKING CANNABIS-INFUSED HONEY STICKS
Making honey sticks really is simple. All you need is the following:
• Cannabis-infused honey
• Air syringe
• Clear straws
• Heat sealer
Apart from the heat sealer, everything on this list is cheap and easy to come across. If you already have a heat sealer at home, that’s great! If not, you can purchase them for fairly cheap, and they have a whole bunch of other uses besides making honey sticks.
1. To begin, you’ll need to turn on your heat sealer and remove several straws from the packaging. Place one end of each straw onto the element of the heat sealer and close the lid. Depending on the model you’re using, the sealer may make a noise for several seconds that indicates the process is complete, or may require you to press a button once the lid is shut.
2. Next up is the filing process. This can be done using pipettes or a squeeze bottle, but using an air syringe will ensure an easy and far less-messy process. Poke the end of the syringe into your jar or bottle of cannabis-infused honey and extract the desired quantity. Inject the extract into the open end of each straw.
3. Now that your straws are full, you’ll need to seal the honey extract inside. Place the open end of each straw back onto the heating element and repeat the process detailed above.
All done! It’s as easy as that. Now you’re prepared for rapid and sweet doses of THC and CBD at home or on the go!
The healing properties of honey and cannabis combine to form an incredible and easy to make tincture.
CBD Honey Sticks: The Pros And Cons Of These Sweet CBD Treats
CBD honey sticks combine honey’s natural benefits with the various benefits of CBD. These items are a popular option due to their ease of use and sweet taste.
CBD Honey Sticks: The Highlights
- CBD honey sticks are tube-like casings that are filled with a mixture of honey and CBD.
- As with other CBD products, CBD honey sticks can provide pain relief and other everyday ailments.
- CBD honey sticks will have little to no THC. At most, they will have 0.3%, which is not enough to get a user high.
- CBD honey sticks are a portable and easy way to consume CBD.
- Consuming CBD honey sticks is as easy as sucking on a lollipop, or using it with tea or coffee.
What Are CBD Honey Sticks?
For centuries honey has also gone by its nickname, “Nectar of the Gods,” due to its superfood qualities. Honey has this distinction due to it providing an array of benefits including:
- antibacterial properties
- containing powerful antioxidants
- providing energy at a rapid rate
- an underrated cough syrup that’s natural
- healing wounds
- helping with pollen allergies
Taking cues from the ancient Ayurvedic tradition, honey is viewed as an optimal vehicle to deliver herbal medicine because it’s one of the most easily digested forms of carbohydrates.
To improve and maximize honey’s usage, infusing it with CBD oil will do the trick. This is because when combined with CBD, honey serves as the optimal partner to transporting numerous health benefits that help balance out your body.
CBD honey sticks resemble drinking straws, and some people are also now referring to them as honey straws due to being able to use them just like you would any other straw. With CBD honey sticks, you’re getting infused honey with pure CBD.
How To Use A CBD Honey Stick
For those individuals who are looking for products that are organically grown and have a preference for oral ingestion — CBD honey sticks are ideal.
Whether you’re at an athletic event, hiking with friends, at a concert, need a boost at work, seeking a bedtime snack — consuming these sticks will be your ideal option.
With that said, the process of using these sticks couldn’t be any easier. Here’s a three-step process on how to use them:
- Remove your CBD honey stick from your pocket, purse, travel bag, or wherever else you’re storing these products.
- Cut (or bite) open one end of your honey stick
- Begin to suck on it as ifs it’s a straw.
Also of note, incorporating this into food options of your choosing is a possibility depending on your specific preference. Think of your CBD honey stick as if it’s a regular glob of honey.
For those with the sweet tooth, add it to your tea, plant-based meals, yogurt, or whatever other food is a regular in your eating regimen.
Now as far as consumption of these CBD honey sticks, it’s wise to start with a small dose and gradually increase, if need be, as you get adjusted to it. Basically, take stock of how your body is handling the sticks to gauge how many you can consume.
Since the sticks are pre-packaged, the dosage is already predetermined which is why it’s paramount to find the right amount for your particular ailment or condition.
The Pros And Cons Of Honey Sticks
As with other CBD products, expect benefits ranging from alleviating pain, mitigating anxiety, and helping establish (or restore) healthy sleeping patterns. On top of the excellent taste, by consuming honey, you’re helping mitigate inflammation along with helping against wounds and burns.
As with any product in life, there will be some negatives to certain individuals. Due to the nature of honey, some users have reported increased thirst and dry mouth.
While the sticks are convenient, they won’t be as potent as other delivery mechanisms which could add up in terms of cost if you require a high dosage to experience benefits.
Best CBD Honey Sticks Of 2019
If you weren’t already excited about using CBD honey sticks, the level of interest should go up due to the variety of options available to choose from on this market.
Just CBD Honey Sticks
Priced at $250 with each stick containing 10mg, each stick is filled with natural infused honey and CBD free of artificial preservatives.
Hemp For Fitness Honey Sticks
At 15mg and priced $2.99 per stick, these sticks deliver a nice entourage effect along with raw organic Colorado honey infused. The company uses full spectrum hemp extract derived from organically farmed industrial hemp plants in select European countries to round out its main ingredients.
You’ll also have a handful of flavors with these sticks to choose from.
Pinnacle Hemp Honey Sticks
Priced at $14.99 in packs of five with 10mg per stick, these CBD honey sticks are made with full spectrum CBD made from organic hemp that is 3rd party lab tested. It’s recommended to use two sticks per day.
Colorado Hemp Honey Ginger Soothe Sticks
Coming in 10 pack sticks with a total of 150 mg full spectrum hemp extract, these come with a superior “entourage effect.” And also of note is that this company donates 10 cents for every purchase to Veterans to Farmers.
As was recommended on the company site, they encourage users to start with one stick and wait 30 minutes before consuming another to gauge how their body metabolizes the cannabinoids. A typical pack runs at $29.
Carolina Hemp Company Honey Stix
With 7 honey sticks per package and each containing 1.3 mg of hemp extract, these CBD honey sticks are a solid cost-effective option.
As far as the ingredients, these include Oregon Raw Red clover honey, organic virgin hemp oil, organic alcohol, purified water, and blended infusion of essential oils.
Ratings have been near perfect with many commenting on the excellent taste and the versatility to use it in numerous forms such as in tea. A typical pack of these sticks will cost $9.99.
The Brothers Apothecary Honey Sticks
Priced between $15 – $22 depending on whether you elect for a three or five pack, these sticks consisting of organic honey and hemp-derived CBD extract contain an estimated 15mg per stick.
CBD Honey Sticks: Parting Words
With little-to-no side effects to using these CBD honey sticks, it’s nearly a no brainer to try them if you’re looking for a convenient option that is portable.
If you’re wanting to try CBD honey sticks, use reputable companies that can provide lab tested products to ensure you’re not getting anything you don’t want.
One of the other big reasons besides the portability of the CBD honey sticks is that they contain little-to-no THC. Adding all of these factors up makes CBD honey sticks a highly valuable option in the CBD industry.
CBD honey sticks combine honey's natural benefits with the various benefits of CBD. These items are a popular option due to their ease of use and sweet taste.